Wednesday, January 19, 2011

1857 Walking Fashions TS Arthur

Photobucket

Larger image

Every now and then, an image seems to be improved by age. This is one. The little discolorations seem to only add to the warmth of this image. This plate seems a bit autumnal to me, and I feel like these ladies will go inside once they’ve finished their chat and have a glass of mulled wine. While I love the attitude of this print, I’m not crazy about the actual fashions depicted. These dresses do nothing for these ladies’ figures. Could a woman really move gracefully in skirts this gigantic?

I don’t know much about this image, and what I do know is that it came from an 1857 periodical known either as The Lady’s Home Magazine or Arthur’s Home Magazine. Which is what I learned from the ebay listing, as I’d never work this out from looking at the image itself. I also don’t have a fashion description for this print.

Purchased on ebay December 2010 as a loose fashion plate.

2 comments:

  1. I love old prints, but I'm just as happy not to have wear something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here, especially if leaving the house in winter means dragging your skirts and underskirts through six inches of slush.

    ReplyDelete